Basics Student Scholarship
THE BASICS STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP
Each year, the Jones Family Foundation, in partnership with Jeff and Beth Jones Ministries offers The Basics Student Scholarship of $1000, to a student who meets the criteria below.
We remember what it was like to be a college student. It was an era of limited cash and lots of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and ramen noodles!
Jeff: When I was in college, I was also working full-time as a partner to start what eventually became a multi-million dollar company. In the early years of being a college student at Spring Arbor University and launching a business there were days when I didn't have enough extra money to buys a can of shaving cream. Later, when I felt God's call to the ministry, I sold everything I had, married Beth and moved to Oklahoma to go to Bible School. That meant that we ate more ramen noodles in our early years of marriage! I know the difference $1000 would have made for me as a college student and while studying for the ministry.
Beth: My story is a little different. My parents were divorced, so my four sisters were raised by my single mother. As a result, the chance that there would be any funds available for college was non-existent. As an undergrad student at Western Michigan University and then Boston University, I remember applying for every loan, scholarship and grant I could find. Thankfully, I qualified for many financial aid options and I also worked as an Resident Advisor in the dorm to offset my room and board. After I graduated from college, I attended Bible School to get my ministry training and was fortunate enough to qualify for a grant that helped to partially cover my tuition.
You can see that we both know the value of receiving financial and scholarship assistance as a student. We also know the power that comes to a student when you have people who believe in you and your God-given potential! The Basics Student Scholarship is intended to provide the recipients with the financial help they need as well as the boost that comes from knowing someone is in your corner cheering you on!
HOW TO APPLY
Each year we, along with our team, will select one student to receive a The Basics Student Scholarship of $1000. This scholarship will go to a student who meets the following criteria:
1. Applicant must be a current College, University or Bible School student.
2. Applicant must sense God's call to full-time Christian ministry.
3. Applicant must be studying to earn their Associates, Bachelors or Masters degree or certificate of completion in a program that will equip them to serve the Lord, preach the gospel, disciple believers, build churches, make a dent in eternity, etc.
4. Applicant must be actively involved in their local Christian church in both attendance and in serving in some area of ministry.
5. Applicant must have a demonstrated track record of passion for the Lord and ministry through volunteering to help in these types of gospel ministries: leading people to Christ, discipling or mentoring believers in the Christian faith, praying with and for others, preaching, teaching, leading Bible studies, leading worship, evangelistic or discipleship writing, etc.
6. Applicant who is selected annually will receive The Basics Student Scholarship of $1000 in a lump sum to be used toward tuition, books and expenses for College, University or Bible School.
7. Applicant should apply for The Basics Student Scholarship of $1000 for the 2016/2017 school year (Aug 2016-June 2017) between January 1, 2016 and March 31, 2016.
8. Applicant should include the following things with their application:
Basic Info: Name, Address, Phone, Email, Social Media Contact Info, Birthdate, School Attending, Years Attended, Anticipated Graduation Date.
Calling and Ministry Info: Write a one page paper describing your call to the ministry, your involvement in your local church and your track record of other ministry volunteer work.
Explanation: What are you studying and how will it help you serve the Lord in your calling. Why should you be selected for this scholarship?
Recommendation: A letter of recommendation from your Pastor which includes their view of your calling and involvement in ministry.
9. Send your application to: Attention: Jeff and Beth Jones Ministries/The Basics Student Scholarship, P.O. Box 745, Portage, MI 49024 between January 1, 2016 and March 31, 2016.
The Basics Student Scholarship recipient for the 2016/2017 school year will be selected and notified in April 2016.