"But I have this [one charge to make] against you: that you have left (abandoned) the love that you had at first [you have deserted Me, your first love]. Remember then from what heights you have fallen. Repent (change the inner man to meet God's will) and do the works you did previously [when first you knew the Lord], or else I will visit you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you change your mind and repent." Revelation 2:4-5, AMP
Feeling far from the Lord? Have you lost your glow? It’s time to reset and return to your first love—Jesus. Although this passage is written to churches who have left their first love, it's applicable to us as individual believers, too.
One way to reset is to: remember!
- Remember when…you first came to the Lord and you knew your sins were forgiven. You were so thankful and grateful to be saved.
- Remember when…you thought the sky seemed bluer, the birds chirped louder and your heart was full of peace.
- Remember when...you stayed up late to read your Bible and got up early to pray.
- Remember when...you had to tell everyone you knew about Jesus.
- Remember when…you journaled your innermost thoughts and prayers to the Lord.
- Remember when...you wrote letters to your family and friends and sent them books and sermons about the Lord.
- Remember when...you prayed for your city and lost people around the world.
- Remember when...you forgave easily.
- Remember when...you were generous and happy to serve.
Remember and return these things to stir up your love for the Lord once again. Here are some other ideas for getting yourself back into some good habits and getting back to your first love this week!
Monday: Read Psalms 25-27. Tell the Lord how thankful you are and praise Him—thank and praise God for everything you can think of!
Tuesday: Read Ephesians 1:15-20, 3:14-20 & Colossians 1:9-12. Pray all of these Scripture prayers for 20 people you know.
Wednesday: Read Ephesians 5:16-18 and Psalm 150. Sing to the Lord—make up songs from your own heart or put on a worship playlist and sing every song TO the Lord.
Thursday: Read Psalm 62 and Psalm 5. Journal your prayers—write a letter to the Lord and pour out your heart to Him.
Friday: Read Psalm 139. Pray for yourself—what specific things do you need from the Lord?
Saturday: Read 1 Corinthians 12 and Ephesians 3-5. Pray for your church—lift up everyone from the pastors to the first-time visitors.
Sunday: Read 1 Timothy 2:1-4. Pray for the government—ask God to raise up godly leaders in every sphere of leadership.
Say It: "Father—I don't want to fall from my first love. I love You, Lord and I want to reset my heart. I want to remember and return to You. I ask You for Your help as I get into habits to keep my love for You burning brightly! In Jesus' Name. Amen."